Organization: The Archaeological Research Institute
The team at the Archaeological Research Institute is in search of a Public Education and Outreach Coordinator. We are in search of a team member that is passionate about our organization’s mission and vision of getting the public informed and involved in archaeology, and specifically local archaeology. We are looking for someone that is a self-starter, creative, self-motivated, flexible, empathetic, energized, enjoys teamwork, adaptable, has great communication skills, collaborative, organized, can problem-solve, and is excited to learn more.
We are willing to train or find opportunities for continued education for the right person. We would like this position to start off as a part-time position with potential for full-time employment in the future.
Pay range: $15-$20/hour depending upon experience & background
Hours: 16-30hrs/week (8-5 on Tuesdays and 8:45 – 5pm on Wednesdays & Saturdays)
Days: Tuesdays (8am-9am Staff Meeting), Wednesdays and Saturdays Required, other days as needed
1. Develop ARI archaeological/historic/natural sciences educational programs for a variety of audiences: Student Interns, Volunteers of all ages, Students k-12, and Visitors
2. Develop archaeology-based educational materials (e.g., learning exercises and lesson plans for students; training workshops and support materials for teachers) for use in K-12 classes;
3. Develop written educational materials for print and internet dissemination to share research findings with general audiences (such as programs, guides, hand-outs, workbooks and brochures)
4. Lead tours, experiences and speak at public events
5. Work with partners in the community and tri-state area to create educational programming that meets educational state and institution goals
6. Attend and coordinate ARI outreach opportunities locally, regionally, and nationally
We are willing to help you develop/find training for these skills:
- Coordinate and manage educational outreach programs
- Develop evaluation criteria to establish baselines in knowledge and determine if educational programming is having an impact
- Write grants to secure project funding
- Create program budgets and track program expenses (specifically outlining and tracking costs for educational programs that may be grant-funded programs)
- Certification in scout badge programs
- Instruct ARI staff on how to operate educational programs and speak to the public that you have developed - Create step-by-step how to guides/workshops for staff on how to properly educate the public in various arenas
- Instruct ARI staff on how to write for the public & to create programs, educational outcomes
- Interpret historical & archaeological materials to vast and different audiences
Education and Training Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in anthropology, education, or a related field (e.g., English, history, humanities)
- Experience developing teaching and educational outreach materials
- Experience working with the public
- Graduate degree in anthropology, archaeology, education, history, public history, museum studies, public relations, communications, or the advantageous combination of two or more of these disciplines.
- Experience with archaeological field work, lab work, and research methodologies are extremely desirable
- Have very strong verbal and written communication skills, and must demonstrate experience and aptitude in dealing with various public audiences.
Other valuable skills:
- Experience in curriculum development & learning design
- Training in educational development
- Knowledge of core educational components
- Experience in STEAM or STEM education programs
We are willing to train the right applicant. A passion for educating the public about local history, archaeological sites and descendant communities is a requirement for the position.
Questions? Please feel free to contact us: info@exploreARI.org or call us at 812.290.2966.
Please ask for Liz, Marcus, or Nichelle.
Qualified applicants should send their application, cover letter, resume/CV, and three references to info@exploreARI.org Attn: Public Education & Outreach Coordinator Position.