Job Opening: Operations Director
Green Umbrella is seeking an Operations Director to coordinate the shared services that enable the organization to execute programs to improve sustainability and resilience in the Greater Cincinnati region. This new role will help expand and supervise a team to increase Green Umbrella’s capacity to carry out the following core functions for its programs portfolio: Member relations, Events, Communications, Fundraising, Grant Management, Accounting and financial reporting (eventually), Human Resources, Office systems and administration.
Note: Green Umbrella intends to post job descriptions for Communications Coordinator and Development Coordinator positions in the coming weeks. Please apply for the role that is the best fit for your skills and experience.
About Green Umbrella: Green Umbrella leads collaboration, incubates ideas and catalyzes solutions that create a resilient, sustainable region for all. We envision a vibrant community where sustainability is woven into our ways of life. Our systems-level work has the goal of improving the health of our region's people, climate and landscape. We do this by convening cross-sector collaborations that work to effect policy, systems and environment change.
The Operations Director will work closely with Green Umbrella’s Program Directors to understand their programs’ needs for services and coordinate fulfilling those needs through the staff on the Operations team.
In order to be successful in this role, we believe the ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and experience.
- Experience working in or supervising several the functional areas described above, at least some of which in a non-profit setting
- Can develop and execute strategy
- Excellent at prioritizing a variety of tasks and managing time
- Proven manager: can coach, hold reports accountable, communicate clearly, openly and often
- Humble (in it for others/mission), hungry (strong work ethic, always ready to contribute) and smart (understand people and how to interact with them)
- Commitment to mission and values of Green Umbrella
- Process improvement thinker, with a focus on efficiency and streamlining… sees when a problem exists sooner than others and tackles it.
- Can document processes and procedures to get everyone on the same system
- Organized and willing to become a master at Asana project management
- Can understand and filter requests to the right people and say no when needed
- Ability to analyze financial reports
- Pragmatic optimist
This role will report to Green Umbrella’s Executive Director and be a part of a leadership team for the organization that collaborates on strategy decisions. This role will help hire a Development Coordinator and Communications Coordinator soon after starting in the position and likely a Grants Manager in the future. The Operations Director will work in person and remotely, the logistics of which will be negotiated.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure efficient functioning of the Green Umbrella “backbone” that allows all mission-focused work to succeed.
- Supervise direct reports to ensure quality, timely delivery of services committed to programs and the organization.
- Field requests for services from program and other staff and run project management to ensure needs can be met or adjusted to be feasible.
- Guide cross-sector strategy between development, communications, member relations and events (and programs) to advance the financial sustainability of the organization and increase its reach.
- Coordinate with finance team to oversee grant management and compliance needs until a Grants Manager position can be created.
- Determine whether HR needs can be staffed internally or require contract HR support; supervise such support if needed. Perform HR services as needed.
- Support, carry-out or delegate other office and personnel management tasks that emerge.
- Serve as the improver, documenter and maintainer of Green Umbrella policies and procedures.
- Because this is a new role we anticipate that additional responsibilities will be discovered as the full operations department gets up and running. Flexibility is a requirement!
Salary & Benefits
- Annual salary of $55,000 to $70,000, commensurate with experience
- Thirteen paid holidays annually
- Accrual of twelve vacation days in first year of employment (increases with tenure at organization)
- Accrual of ten sick days annually
- Flex-time policy for overtime hours, flexible work schedule
- Health Insurance: 100% of health insurance premium cost for full-time employees is covered (no wait period), 25% of spouse/family health insurance is covered
- Parental Bonding Leave (after 1 year of employment) of up to 4 weeks PTO
Submit (as one PDF attachment) a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references by 9:00 am on Monday, November 1, 2021 to email@example.com.
Address cover letter to Ryan Mooney-Bullock, Executive Director. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
GREEN UMBRELLA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND VALUES DIVERSITY AT ALL LEVELS OF ITS WORKFORCE. We are committed to making sure our applicant pool is diverse and reserve the right to extend the application period or seek additional candidates if it is not.Operations Director Job Description.pdf