Organization: La Soupe
About this position:
About La Soupe: La Soupe’s mission: Rescue. Transform. Share. Inspire. Educate. Nourish. La Soupe is the only chef-led organization that addresses food waste and food insecurity in the Cincinnati region, transforming rescued food into nourishing community soups and meals. La Soupe registered as a 501(c)3 in 2015. In 2020, the organization moved to a 9,000 square-foot facility in Walnut Hills. La Soupe now employs 30 staff members, rescues more than 1,000,000 pounds of food each year, and helps more than 135 partner agencies serve their clients with dignity. La Soupe is launching its Food as Medicine program focused on the nutritional needs of underserved populations in Cincinnati. The program will produce scratch-made meals to individuals experiencing chronic and critical illnesses. Currently, meals are made for Hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, and Heart Disease.
Role: The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist will be responsible for owning all Food as Medicine illness specific nutrition requirements, both internally and for partner organizations, as well as managing nutrition related labeling, communications, menu planning, and strategy. They will report to the Food as Medicine Director, and will collaborate to develop recipes, advise on continuous program development, and represent La Soupe’s nutrition ideals.
- Food as Medicine: Manages all nutrition aspects of medically tailored meal (MTM) creation including:
- Gathers requirements for, advises on, and maintains nutrition and ingredient guidelines for existing, and new diets and partnerships
- Works with operations team to ensure that all Food as Medicine meals are created per nutrition requirements as defined by La Soupe, partners, and as advised by the Food is Medicine Coalition (FIMC)
- Analyzes or oversees the nutrition analysis of all Food as Medicine recipes
- Owns recipe documentation and organization for the program, including submissions to partner governing bodies and publishing to clients and the public.
- Develops tools and techniques for integrating rescued food into Food as Medicine recipes while maintaining nutrition requirements
- Works with executive chef and leadership team to implement quality control and sanitation and safety standards for all meal creation, including sensory evaluations, performance metrics and sanitation checklists.
- Works with culinary team to bring new culinary ideas to recipes and menus for specific chronic illnesses - ensuring that we are proud of every meal produced
- Nourish: Owns nutritional implementation of the Nourish Program (soupes and meals based on DASH):
- Owns Nourish (DASH diet) nutritional requirements and makes sure that the culinary team is set up for success in creating Nourish meals and soupes via tools and training for chefs and volunteers.
- Is well versed in nutrition concepts, healthcare terminology, and stays current on dietetic guidelines for diabetes, hypertension, CVD, and other chronic condition.
- Advises internally and externally on meal requirements for populations with various chronic illnesses, referral processes and nutrition assessment and intake processes.
- Works with the Food as Medicine Chef and Food as Medicine Director to guide the meal creation, ingredient sourcing, and meal plans for the Food as Medicine program.
- Collaborates with Education department on bringing nutrition content into culinary education programming
- Owns and keeps up to date all nutrition messaging and content: fliers, pamphlets, etc.
- Works with La Soupe Communications Director to create and share program-related content
- Note: This role does not include client facing dietitian counseling or Medical Nutrition Therapy at this time, but it may be paired with this function in the future.
- Education: Licensed RDN (Registered Dietitian Nutritionist) or RDT (Registered Dietetic Technician) per CDR
- 3-5 years of experience working as a licenced Dietitian
- Proven work experience in nutrition, dietetics, client referrals and intake processes, recipe analysis and menu creation (using recipe analysis software)
- Proven work experience in a production kitchen, preferably supervising or managing nutritionally tailored meals. Culinary degree or experience is a bonus.
- Knowledge of food labeling laws and regulations as they relate to nutrition
- Serve Safe level 1 (level 2 preferred) - can be completed on job
- Organized, enthusiastic, professional, and friendly
- Active listener, effective writer, and possesses good speaking skills in diverse groups
- Able to solve complex problems through reasoning, logic and critical thinking
- Able to represent La Soupe as a professional ambassador to the company
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel/ Word, Google product suite (gdrive, gmail, calendar, sheets, etc), nutrition analysis software (La Soupe uses Cronometer currently).
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Please send a cover letter and resume to Emmy Schroder, Director of Food as Medicine: Emmy@lasoupe.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
More information and application can be found here.