Organization: Ohio River Foundation
About the position:
Do you dream of a job that is outdoors and based in some of the most beautiful parks and green spaces in the greater Cincinnati area? Do you enjoy working with kids and inspiring them to make a connection with nature and science? Would you like to travel to schools presenting programs with live, freshwater mussels or take kids knee deep into local streams, creeks and rivers to explore river ecology and chemistry? Do you want to get your hands dirty and help make a real difference in our watershed by participating in restoration projects such as invasive species removal and native plantings? If so, consider joining our team!
Ohio River Foundation, a regional conservation non-profit organization, is seeking part-time Field Educators (possibility to extend hours seasonally). The ideal candidate is creative, enthusiastic, and hardworking, with a strong interest in environmental education and working with children. We need fun loving, dependable, educators that don’t mind all kinds of weather, rain or shine, hot or cold.
● Work with the education team to conduct 1⁄2 day hands-on education field trips and in classroom programs for grades K-12. Activities and topics include: biodiversity, life cycles and food webs, Earth Science, wildlife observation, biological sampling, water quality testing, ecosystem and watershed concepts, and safety review
● Manage and maintain educational and scientific equipment
● Teacher communication
● Assist staff with program development
● Restoration project assistance and coordination including invasive species removal, native species planting and working with and communicating with volunteers.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
● College coursework in biology, ecology, or related field
● Education coursework or experience with children in an education setting preferred
● Strong communication skills desired; ability to work independently, self-directed and as a team member
● Ability to make decisions quickly and independently
● Ability to communicate in a professional, accurate and enthusiastic manner.
● This position requires the ability to lift and carry equipment (up to 30lbs.) and safely exit and enter streams, creeks, and rivers.
● Valid Driver’s License and reliable personal transportation
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
● Starting pay rate: $15/hour
● Mileage reimbursement
● Self determined schedule
● Work alongside a team of passionate educators and conservationists committed to making positive environmental change in our community.
● Training and continuing education in the field of Environmental Education and Watershed Conservation.
Position is part-time, seasonal. The majority of programs occur September-October and April-May, Monday-Friday, typically 8:45am-2pm. Possible opportunities to extend hours and season. Restoration work may offer afternoon and weekend hours during the spring, summer and fall.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com