Organization: MetroParks of Butler County
Summary: Plans and implements or supervises implementation as a working supervisor of maintenance of athletic fields, turf and natural grass, conservation and land stewardship practices at assigned park locations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Responsible for all sports turf maintenance practices and assigned parks and athletic fields. Manages and instructs staff on all turf maintenance practices. Responsible for scheduling maintenance, coordination of facility schedule and set up of assigned athletic fields for all events, leagues and trainings that are scheduled at the assigned facilities.
- Responsible for supervision, coordination and/or implementation of regular maintenance, repairs and miscellaneous care of assigned park buildings, athletic playing fields (natural and synthetic), trails, assigned special purpose park areas, restrooms, roads, walks, pathways, play structures, and equipment to ensure efficient and safe park operations.
- Oversee and perform quality checks on all contract work performed in park.
- Researches potential costs and revenues, prepared budgets and monitors same for specific project, activities, or for general operations of assigned properties.
- Recommends policies, long-range objectives and capital improvements for assigned properties and/or park locations.
- Attends meetings as a representative of MetroParks as assigned, conducts meetings, and makes presentations as assigned.
- Keeps written records, inventories, and makes written reports as required and/or assigned.
- Aids with general public programming and special events as assigned.
- Maintains decorative plant beds and other highly landscaped areas as assigned.
- Manages, coordinates and/or applies fertilizer, herbicides, or other chemicals according to manufacturer’s recommendations and MetroParks policy as assigned.
- Schedules and generally supervises other employees and/or volunteers assigned to stewardship or maintenance activities.
- Assists with and performs duties to implement capital improvement projects as assigned.
- Operates tractors, mowers, motor vehicles, hand and power tools commonly in use for general building and grounds maintenance.
- Periodically required to open and/or close park areas and to maintain, check, or supervise special use recreation areas or facilities such as those designed for ice skating, sledding, swimming, etc.
- Plans, supervises, coordinates and/or performs conservation, wildlife management, and land stewardship activities in assigned areas.
- Collects payments, fees, oversees and/or performs sales and other revenue functions as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate.
Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records. Requires subordinates to do the same.
- Must be able to communicate and deal tactfully and in a timely and effective manner with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public in-person or via email, phone, or written document.
- Ability to meet and interact with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Acts as a good-will ambassador for the MetroParks at all times. Maintains a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members. Requires subordinates to do the same.
- Follows MetroParks policies in Employee Guide and other policies as applicable. Requires subordinates to operate within same guidelines.
- The ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner is all also required for this position.
Required Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a two (2) year degree from an accredited college or technical school in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Agronomy, Conservation, or a related field; and at least two (2) years related maintenance and/or land stewardship experience with a park, natural resource or conservation agency or closely related private sector employer.
- At least three (3) years prior experience as a proven effective supervisor, and must have the ability to effectively motivate assigned subordinates.
- Experience in and working knowledge of common practices of general park maintenance, minor building and equipment repair, grounds keeping, landscaping, conservation land management and stewardship activities and equipment.
- Ability to efficiently operate and teach others to safely and properly operate various types of grounds maintenance and/or construction equipment including, but not limited to: chainsaws, hedge trimmers, weed whips, tractors and brush hogs, lawnmowers, snow plows, blowers, skid loaders, water transfer pumps, chippers, graders, etc.
- Basic computer and software competency, which includes use of email, spreadsheets, and word processing, is required.
- A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter is required. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on their driving record at the time of employment under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment.
- Possession of a valid Ohio Department of Agriculture Public Operator License as a Certified Pesticide Applicator allowing utilization of restricted-use pesticides/herbicides for ornamental plant and shade tree pest control and/or turf pest control required at the time of employment, or before completion of the initial probationary period and thereafter is required.
- A candidate for the position and any employee holding the position shall be a person of good character and integrity with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions).
Work Environment & Schedule:
This full-time, exempt position requires availability for a flexible work schedule which shall include work on evenings, holidays and weekends and is prepared for on-call maintenance or other assistance as assigned during emergencies. The Park Manager/Turfgrass Manager shall carry a smart phone and respond to priority calls and emails 24 hours a day. Ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold (below 32 F degrees) and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Ability to work around various outdoor contaminants, such as pesticides, herbicides, and airborne and plant allergens. Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions.
Learn more and apply here!