Organization: Sol Design + Consulting
About this position:
Sol design + consulting is looking for a versatile, hands‐on professional with building knowledge and skills to assist both our architectural design and green building certification teams. As part of the architectural team, the role will work on all aspects of design work, including project documentation, coordination of consultants’ work, conducting code and product research, and preparing construction documents. As part of the certification team, the role will provide design review and analysis, on‐site inspections, testing and documentation. Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail are an essential requirement of this role. We are accepting applicants for both our Cincinnati and Cleveland offices. Sol is a growing business with learning opportunities and room for career advancement in sustainability.
- Work on multiple architectural design projects, from concept design through construction administration.
- Model conceptual designs, prepare and edit architectural drawings, conduct product research and code analysis, and coordinate with consultants to maintain a coordinated drawing set.
- Work on multiple projects in multiple green certification programs including LEED, Passive House, Enterprise Green Communities, ENERGY STAR, and other programs, often on tight deadlines.
- Review drawings and specifications to verify that sustainable measures are incorporated.
- Extract accurate data from project drawings for energy model input.
- Collect and organize all required documentation for certification from the project design and construction team, clients and other sources.
- Conduct construction site inspections and energy performance testing. This can require one or two travel days per week, and overnight travel about two nights per month.
- Pitch in to help colleagues and clients as needed in our small, rapidly growing business.
- Degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, or equivalent.
- 1‐3 years or more of experience in building design or energy rating/consulting.
- Strong AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp or other 3D design software skills.
- Experience preparing construction documents.
- LEED Accredited Professional, LEED Green Associate, or PHIUS certifications are preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical and program concepts in written and verbal form to people at all levels.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Passion for sustainability.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $45,000 ‐ $60,000 depending on experience. Sol offers an excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, limited life, and 401k employer contributions.
About Sol design + consulting:
Sol design + consulting specializes in energy efficiency and green building certification services for multifamily and commercial developers, owners, builders and architects. Sol provides comprehensive green building services: certification guidance and documentation, energy modeling, testing and verification. We are a LEED for Homes Provider, and also work in Passive House, ENERGY STAR, Enterprise Green Communities, NAHB National Green Building Standard, Living Building Challenge and other state and local green certification programs. Sol’s also takes on a small number of architectural design projects that have high sustainability ambitions, such as Passive House, Net Zero Energy, and carbon neutral designs.
The Sol team is a diverse group of architects, energy specialists and construction professionals committed to excellence in green building and bringing value to our projects. Our key point of differentiation is over 30 years of professional design and construction experience we bring to green building consulting. Sol has completed more than 1,000 certification projects and 10,000 units in over 20 states internationally. You can learn more about us at www.soldesignconsulting.com.
If you meet the qualifications listed above and think you might be a good fit for this position, please send the following materials to email@example.com:
- Your resume.
- A professional writing sample (1‐3 paragraphs) in your email body about what attracts you to this position and how you think you will benefit our firm.
- At least two professional references.