Organization: Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association
About this position:
The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) is hiring an Executive Director to replace our current director who is leaving after years of excellent dedicated service. We are seeking a creative change agent able to take OEFFA to the next level while addressing the challenges of a rapidly shifting agricultural landscape, nonprofit sector, and policy environment. OEFFA has a strong foundation for the executive director to build on, including a 40+ year history, capable staff, and financial sustainability. We are looking for the right person who can use those assets to ensure sustainable and organic farmers thrive, local food nourishes our communities, agricultural practices protect and enhance our environment, and our organization continues to be well-resourced, relevant, and responsive.
The executive director’s key responsibilities include:
- Building on a strategic vision to achieve OEFFA’s mission
- Mentoring and inspiring a 40 plus-member staff team across OEFFA’s education and certification programs
- Directly overseeing the organization’s operations, fundraising, and program leaders
- Partnering with the Board of Directors to set OEFFA’s strategic vision, determine its priorities, and ensure its adequate funding
- Managing and growing annual budgets exceeding $3 million
In addition a proven track record with the above key responsibilities, the ideal candidate for this position will also be:
- A strategic thinker who can work inside complex systems and deliver on organizational goals
- A successful change manager, with experience in shifting organizational culture, centering work in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and updating business models
- A people-focused leader who understands the importance of having strong relationships throughout the organization and community, developing staff leadership, and collaborating with peer organizations
- A creative fundraiser and resource mobilizer with an abundance mindset and entrepreneurial view of the work
We would prefer candidates who:
- Have a strong connection to the agriculture field and a demonstrated passion for OEFFA’s mission
- Have successfully written grants for new and existing programs, particularly for federal agencies
- Brings skills in human resources, budgeting, financial management, staff development, and strategic planning
- Is skilled at being the public face of an organization to members, donors, partners, and the larger community
In addition, this position has several requirements:
- Transportation for offsite duties during the workday, on occasion
- Work evening and weekend hours including overnight travel occasionally
- Sit at a desk for long periods of time maintaining concentration with frequent interruptions
- Ascend/descend stairs multiple times a day
- Work in outdoor weather conditions occasionally
- Technologically adept and able to work remotely
Salary and Benefits
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000 with increases based on the candidate's experience and skills that meet the position description. OEFFA provides a competitive benefits package including health insurance and paid time off.
Founded in 1979, OEFFA cultivates a future in which sustainable and organic farmers thrive, local food nourishes our communities, and agricultural practices protect and enhance our environment. We do that through a number of programs including:
Annual Conference | OEFFA's popular and inspiring sustainable agriculture conference features nationally-recognized speakers, a trade show, children's activities, entertainment, locally sourced meals, and more than 70 workshops taught by experienced OEFFA members, farmers, and researchers.
Farm Tours, Workshops, and Webinars | OEFFA's annual series of free public farm tours features organic and ecological farms and gardens, providing unique opportunities for the public to see, taste, feel, and learn about alternative production systems directly from farmers. We also offer workshops, webinars, newsletter, and other educational opportunities that help producers build their farming, business, and marketing skills.
Organic Certification and Transition | One of the oldest and most respected programs in the nation, OEFFA's Certification program ensures that farmers and processors meet organic's high standards, which protect farmers, consumers, and the environment. To help farmers navigate the transition to organic, OEFFA has dedicated education staff, resources, and services.
Begin Farming | OEFFA's Begin Farming program provides aspiring and early career farmers the support they need to understand what it takes to get into farming and grow their businesses. Paid apprenticeships, in-depth workshops, mentoring, staff support, and networking opportunities are designed to help sustainable and organic farmers succeed.
Farm Policy Matters | OEFFA advocates for state and federal policies that protect and benefit sustainable agriculture, research and education, and the public's right to know. Working with our members, we give voice to concerned citizens and ecological family farmers who are safeguarding the environment and providing us with healthy and nutritious food choices.
Learn more about our work and our plans for the future by reviewing our strategic plan.
Applications consist of three items: a cover letter, résumé, and names of three references (indicate email address, phone number, and their relationship to you). Please combine all of these in a single .pdf. In your cover letter please address how your experience and background meet the requirements of the position. All application materials should be submitted via https://forms.gle/J8sxQP9V6JbRcmcz8. Applications received by midnight ET on 10/23/22 will be assured full consideration. Our intention is to hold Zoom interviews the week of 10/31/22 and in-person interviews with top candidates the week of 11/14/22. The ideal start date for this position is 12/5/22.More information can be found here.