Organization: MetroParks of Butler County
Summary: Under the direction and general supervision of the Senior Park Manager coordinates the daily maintenance and improvement of the grounds, playing fields, trails, pathways, lakes, ponds and buildings at various park locations as well as assisting with the preparations for special events utilizing such facilities as assigned. This is a working supervisory position and as such the Maintenance Crew Leader performs a variety of general-purpose duties and manual labor tasks related to the upkeep and improvement of park grounds, buildings, facilities, and equipment on a daily basis.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Maintenance duties may include supervising staff, scheduling staff, purchasing supplies for, and performing or coordinating staff to perform: litter pick up, landscape development and upkeep, cleaning and maintenance of park facilities and public areas, mowing and trimming around park grounds as needed, assisting with parking and crowd control for special events and programs.
- Prepares and maintains park exterior and interior facilities for use by performing or assigning staff to perform duties such as cleaning, painting and routine maintenance of reservable areas, recreational equipment and fields, shelters, and park grounds adjacent to reservable spaces, common areas, storage rooms, and restrooms.
- Uses, maintains, and instructs others in the safe use of wrenches, pruners, trimmers, brooms, mops, vacuum cleaners, blowers, brushes, rollers, shovels, rakes, hammers and other common hand or power tools.
- Operates licensed and non-licensed motor vehicles, APVs, snow plows, tractors, mowers, brush hogs, loaders and other equipment.
- Maintains accurate records of tasks performed and the cost of supplies and labor associated with those tasks. Purchases supplies and materials as authorized.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work unsupervised, to organize and coordinate, to prioritize and self-initiate
- Ability to maintain confidentially on sensitive issues and non-public records.
- Ability to maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with other staff members, volunteers and the staff of other agencies.
- Follows MetroParks policies in Employee Guide and other policies as applicable.
- Meets and deals with the public in a professional, helpful and pleasant manner. Acts as a good-will ambassador for the MetroParks at all times.
Required Education and Experience:
- Associates Degree in Parks and Recreation, Fish Management, Landscape Management, or related field OR two years of relevant experience. Previous grounds and building maintenance, and supervisory experience are required for this position.
- Ability to efficiently operate and teach others to safely and properly operate various types of grounds maintenance and/or construction equipment including, but not limited to: chainsaws, hedge trimmers, weed whips, tractors and bush hogs, lawnmowers, snow plows, blowers, skid loaders, water transfer pumps, chippers, graders, etc.
- Basic computer and software competency, which includes use of email, spreadsheets, word processing and PowerPoint required.
- Good character with no history of serious criminal activity (felony convictions) is required of all persons who are candidates for employment in this position or for employees currently working under the provisions of this position description.
- A valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record allowing insurability by the park district’s current vehicle insurance carrier under existing coverage provisions at the time of employment and thereafter are also required. Candidates for employment may not have more than 4 total points (or equivalent penalty) issued by a recognized licensing authority for driving-related violations on his/her driving record at the time of employment.
Work Environment & Schedule:
This is a part-time position that requires availability for a flexible and intermittent work schedule. Candidate must have ability to work in all outside weather conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold (below 32 F degrees) and extreme heat (above 90 F degrees). Ability to work around various outdoor contaminants, such as pesticides, herbicides, and airborne and plant allergens. Some work assignments and tasks will require exposure to and work in inclement weather conditions.
General good health and ability to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. Ability to effectively, efficiently, and safely complete assigned tasks in a timely manner is all also required for this position.
The position functions and responsibilities are illustrative only and do not represent all the duties or tasks to be assigned or performed by an employee with this position title.
Alternates to the above qualifications may be acceptable as approved by the Executive Director.
Learn more here!