Warren County, Ohio
Riparian Woodlands and Historic Ruins
The 90-acre Carter Park is in Kings Mills on the slope of the Little Miami River Valley. Trails on the property descend to an abandoned millrace and remnants of powder mills for which the nineteenth-century town was named. One of the finest riparian woodlands in the region surrounds the mill ruins.
Protected by Deerfield Township Parks and Recreation
Carter Park is part of the large estate that surrounded the King Mansion, built by the mill owner Ahimaaz King, later owned by the Carter family. In 2002, Deerfield Township purchased the property and created Carter Park. The 1885 home continues to serve as a private residence. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources protects the property immediately bordering the Little Miami River.
How to Find Carter Park Riparian Woods
The parking area for Carter Park is located at 1720 East King Avenue in Kings Mills. To reach the riparian woods, follow the park’s paved path past the archery range. About 100 yards farther, turn left onto the gravel road leading downhill to the area of the mill ruins along the former millrace.