Butler County, Ohio
Beech and sugar maple trees comprise 80% of the trees in the preserve, an old-growth forest located within Hueston Woods State Park. The “Big Woods” are a remnant of the beech-maple forests that once covered much of Ohio. Miami University faculty and students have conducted numerous ecological studies in the 200-acre woodland. It was designated as a National Natural Landmark in 1967 and a State Nature Preserve in 1973.
Matthew Hueston settled the area in 1797 but preserved a remnant of the native forest. Morris Taylor, a conservationist, purchased the woods in the 1930s following the death of the last Hueston descendants. The state has owned and maintained the land since 1941.